Picture is an Armenian cross stone with the inscription copy of an Armenian stele of 1308 AD by master Momik. It is located outside the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi in Assisi, Umbria region, central Italy. After Christianity was adopted in 301, Armenians started destroying the monuments of paganism and set instead wooden crosses as the symbols of Christianity. Opponents were burning them so they were replaced with stone ones. They are called khachkars and the art of making them was highly developed and reached great heights. Momik was one of the masters at making them.
|